Hazing Lawyers: Fighting for Accountability and Victim's Rights
Hazing, bullying and intimidation are criminal offenses that can be punished by imprisonment, but a victim of such abuse can also file a civil lawsuit to recover compensation. Romanucci & Blandin has significant experience with hazing lawsuits, and we are very familiar with the challenges and compassion that these cases require. We understand how to listen to people who have suffered hazing, bullying and intimidation, and our attorneys know how to bring some measure of justice to your life.
What are hazing, bullying and intimidation?
Hazing is defined as any activity that members of a group do, as a requirement for a new person to join a group (or to maintain full status in a group) by causing humiliation, degradation, or risking emotional and/or physical harm, regardless of the person’s willingness to participate.
Hazing is a complex social problem that is shaped by power dynamics operating in a group and/or organization and within a particular cultural context. It is most common on high school and college campuses but can happen in any organization.
Hazing activities are generally considered to be:
- Physically abusive
- Sexually violating
Specific behaviors or activities within these categories vary widely among participants, groups and settings. Although alcohol use is common in many types of hazing, other examples of typical hazing practices include:
- Personal servitude
- Sleep deprivation
- Restrictions on personal hygiene
- Yelling and insulting new members
- Being forced to wear embarrassing or humiliating attire in public
- Consumption of vile substances or smearing of such on one’s skin
- Physical beatings
- Binge drinking and drinking games
- Sexual stimulation and sexual assault
The statistics speak to the widespread problem:
- 5 million high school students are hazed each year
- 55% of college students involved in clubs, teams and organizations experience hazing
- 40% of athletes who reported being involved in hazing behaviors report that a coach or advisor was aware of the activity and shockingly, 22% report that the coach was involved
- 2 out of 5 students say they are aware of hazing taking place on their campus. More than 1 in 5 report that they personally have witnessed hazing
- 95% of cases where students acknowledged their experience as hazing did not report the events to campus officials
- 36% of students say they would not report hazing mainly because they feel there’s nobody to tell and 27% feel that adults won’t handle it correctly.
It’s imperative for parents and students to understand the dangers and prevalent problem of hazing. Those who observe hazing must report these incidents. Hazing is a crime that destroys team members and weakens the team/group and should never be tolerated.
Your hazing, bullying and intimidation claim
With headquarters in Chicago, the hazing attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know the damage caused by these situations can also include medical bills for treatment, therapy or counseling and more. The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know how to navigate these sensitive cases and bring justice to victims - even if the abuse took place years ago – and often settle these types of cases without going to trial.
At Romanucci & Blandin, we approach a hazing, bullying and intimidation claim to provide monetary compensation and hold an individual or institution financially accountable and responsible for the economic, physical and emotional damages that have occurred.
Our law firm has a team of attorneys and staff who have years of experience with hazing, bullying and intimidation litigation. Our hazing legal team includes partners who guide the process and share their deep knowledge of these lawsuits. Each client and each situation are different, and your claim is treated with great care and respect as the team investigates what happened and determines the best path to justice for you.
We know exactly what to do to litigate your hazing, bullying and intimidation claim. We will obtain all necessary background information on the abuser and, if appropriate, any institution that was involved. We find the records, interview witnesses, utilize experts and prepare thoroughly and meticulously for your case. Ultimately, our aim is to obtain the maximum compensation possible so that you can move on with your life.
At Romanucci & Blandin, our hazing and intimidation attorneys research the most up-to-date sexual misconduct laws and hire trained and experienced experts to work as expert witnesses and consultants on your cases. We will evaluate your injury, claim and research the relevant statute of limitations applicable to your case. We work to locate and utilize the best experts across the country who are experienced in all the relevant state laws.
Delivering justice for hazing, bullying and intimidation victims
The results we have achieved in many hazing bullying and intimidation cases are a testament to our team’s fierce dedication to clients. For example, we were able to procure justice for five students of Maine West high school where athletes had been hazed by upperclassmen.
Free consultation on your case with Chicago-based hazing, bullying and intimidation lawyers
The hazing, bullying and intimidation attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin have proven success in these types of cases. If you or a loved one has suffered injury or wrongful death, please contact our office at email@example.com, 312-458-1000 or click here for a free evaluation of your case. There is never a fee until you are compensated for your injuries at the end of the case.
Disclaimer: The content found on this page is not legal assistance and contacting the sexual abuse and hazing lawyers at Romanucci & Blandin’s law office for a free consultation regarding personal injury cases and hospital malpractice claims does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
In the News
- ABC7, October 5, 2023
- Crain's Chicago Business, October 5, 2023
- WBBM NEWSRADIO, October 5, 2023
- Sports Illustrated, August 19, 2023
- Chicago Sun-Times, August 5, 2023
- Two former Northwestern football players claim hazing included watermelon-eating contests for Black playersCBS Chicago, August 3, 2023
- Chicago Sun-Times, August 3, 2023
- ESPN, August 3, 2023
- The Daily Northwestern, July 18, 2023
- The Daily Northwestern, July 8, 2023
- WGN Radio Legal Face Off, September 23, 2021
- FOX 32 Chicago, August 23, 2021
- Attorneys from Chicago law firms representing former Northwestern football players alleging they were victims of sexual, physical and emotional issue statement responding to former Coach Pat Fitzgerald’s lawsuitOctober 5, 2023
- Hart McLaughlin & Eldridge and Romanucci & Blandin Share New Allegations and Name New Defendant in Cases of Northwestern University Football Team HazingAugust 3, 2023
- Civil Lawsuit Filed Against Plainfield School District 202 and Plainfield Central High School Football Coaches for Hazing and Sexual Assault of Two PlayersAugust 23, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Parents of Lake Zurich High School Students for Despicable Acts of Bullying and HazingFebruary 1, 2017
- November 7, 2016
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, July 13, 2023
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, June 3, 2022