Experienced Toxic Tort Attorneys: Seeking Compensation for Harmful Exposure
Environmental lawsuits that involved injury through the pollution of land, water or air, can be heartbreaking. Certainly, the damage to natural resources is upsetting, but the damage to human life can be tragic. When someone has been exposed to a toxic substance and sustained an injury or illness from it, it is known as a toxic tort case. A company can be held liable if they exposed people to a harmful substance knowingly. If you or a loved one was exposed to toxic material from which you suffered from an illness or a loved one died, Romanucci & Blandin environmental attorneys and toxic tort attorneys will help you take action against the responsible party.
Environmental law and toxic torts
Environmental law requires expertise of torts and legal issues and processes along with knowledge of environmental regulations, environmental policy and how a government agency operates. Our environmental lawyers and toxic tort lawyers understand these types of complex cases and how to bring justice to people who have suffered from this type of exposure and injury.
Environmental cases of land use
There are a variety of ways people and property can be exposed to toxic substances. One common way is through the pollution of real estate or land. The way companies or other organizations deal with waste management can impact people far beyond their own staff. The unsuspecting public may be at risk. Brownfields that be contaminated often remain vacant in communities and can be a source of environmental pollution. The improper remediation of hazardous waste allows toxic substances to seep into the soil, leaving people at risk for injury, illness or wrongful death from the exposure.
Environmental cases of water pollution
Chemicals in the groundwater and substances or objects dumped in oceans, lakes and rivers are all examples of how natural resources are abused, but how the environment can become a place of exposure for people. The Clean Water Act is the primary federal law in the United States to restore and maintain the integrity of waterways, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has regulatory powers to manage natural resources, but still in many places water pollution persists with a wide variety of chemicals putting people at risk.
Environmental cases of air pollution
The right to breathe is considered a civil right, and but air quality is an important factor. Clean air is critical to human health, and emissions from vehicles, companies and even livestock can cause illness and injury. Additionally, environmental data and reports show a correlation between emissions and climate change, which can cause additional health and safety risks for people.
Toxic Tort Litigation
Many chemicals are incredibly toxic to our health and are far too common in our communities. Numerous chemicals have caused illness or death, including:
- Asbestos – Asbestos is used in fire-resistant and insulating materials such as brake linings and hair dryers. Exposure to asbestos can cause lung cancer, mesothelioma and other illnesses.
- Lead paint –Lead paint was commonly used in homes, industrial facilities and apartment buildings that are older. There are numerous medical problems that result from lead poisoning, including kidney damage and brain injuries, especially in children.
- Pesticides- Pesticides are used to prevent, destroy, repel or mitigate any pest. Pesticides have been linked to numerous human health problems, including nervous system or endocrine system damage or cancer.
- Benzene – An organic chemical compound used to manufacture metal, wood and textile and exposure can cause aplastic anemia, leukemia, excessive bleeding and other illnesses.
In some cases, a group of people, such as employees are exposed to a toxic substance together, can result in a class action lawsuit. We have experienced toxic tort attorneys who have handled a variety of toxic tort cases, including class action lawsuits for their clients.
Some examples of our environmental cases and toxic tort cases:
Our firm is lead counsel on a mass tort in Willowbrook, Illinois, where the company Sterigenics International was found to be releasing harmful levels of a toxic gas that may increase the public health’s risk of disease, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. We represent members of that community who have been sickened with certain cancers from the long-term toxic air pollution, and families of some residents who have died.
We are also lead counsel on a hazardous materials exposure in the far north suburbs of Chicago that caused injury for many people in the area who required hospitalization and medical treatment. This accident changed the lives of many residents and visitors in a single day, and we are committed to justice for their injuries.
The problem with environmental exposure is nationwide, with Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New York, Washington D.C., Michigan and others states with cases stemming from environmental exposure, injuries to residents and damages to real estate.
Environmental attorneys and toxic tort attorneys
The environmental and toxic tort attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know the damage in these situations can also include missed work and loss of income, medical bills for treatment and more. The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know how to navigate these complex cases and bring justice to victims, and sometimes settle these cases without going to trial.
With headquarters in Chicago, Romanucci & Blandin approaches an environmental action or toxic tort action as a way to provide monetary compensation and hold a culpable a person or institution financially accountable and responsible for the economic, physical and emotional damages that have occurred.
Our law firm has a team of attorneys and staff who have years of experience with environmental litigation. Our team includes partners who guide the process and share their deep knowledge of these types of lawsuits. Each client and each situation is different, and your claim is treated with great care and respect as the team investigates what happened and determines the best path to justice for you.
At Romanucci & Blandin, our environmental attorneys and toxic tort attorneys research the most up-to-date regulatory changes and environmental laws and hire trained and experienced environmental experts to work as expert witnesses and consultants on your cases. We will evaluate your injury, claim and research the relevant statute of limitations applicable to your case. Whether it is to review medical bills, resources laws, or knowing state agencies and governmental agencies and how they operate, we work to locate and utilize the best expert witnesses across the country who are experienced in all the relevant state laws.
Members of our team believe strongly in advocacy for the environment and public health and many have been involved in seeking justice since they were earning their bachelor’s degrees, or were in in law school earning their juris doctorate and passing the bar exam. Advocacy for these environmental cases is important to bar associations and other professional groups where we engage with other law firms for the greater good. Sustainability, clean energy, renewable energy, and biodiversity are all important to the public interest, and to us, to keep people and communities safe.
Types of environmental lawsuits and toxic tort lawsuits
The following are some of the types of environmental and toxic tort cases we handle for our clients:
Free Consultation on your case with Chicago-based environmental and toxic tort lawyers
The environmental lawyers and toxic tort attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin have proven success in these types of cases. Please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org, 312-458-1000 or click here for a free evaluation of your environmental or toxic tort case. There is never a fee until you are compensated for your injuries at the end of the case.
Disclaimer: The content found on this page is not legal assistance and contacting the environmental lawyers and toxic tort lawyers at Romanucci & Blandin’s law office for a free consultation regarding personal injury cases and environmental and toxic tort claims does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
Mass Tort & Class Actions
In the News
- 'I was slowly poisoned:' The CBS 2 Investigators dig into a growing number of cancer cases in a suburban villageCBS 2 Chicago, October 18, 2022
- Editorial: Lessons from the Sterigenics case. Why allow harmful emissions so close to homes and schools?Chicago Tribune, September 27, 2022
- Law360, August 26, 2022
- WGN Radio, May 2, 2022
- CBS 2 Chicago, April 29, 2022
- Plaintiffs’ lawyers file 600 more personal injury lawsuits vs Sterigenics, now also suing Griffith FoodsCook County Record, August 25, 2020
- Medical Design & Outsourcing, August 24, 2020
- Toxic emissions lawsuits against Sterigenics skyrocket from 75 cases to more than 700WGN-TV Chicago, August 21, 2020
- August 21, 2020
- WBBM News Radio Chicago, August 21, 2020
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 24, 2020
- WJBC-AM Radio, February 13, 2020
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 5, 2020
- Medical Design & Outsourcing, February 4, 2020
- WBEZ Radio Chicago, February 3, 2020
- Chicago Sun-Times, February 3, 2020
- ABC 7 Chicago, February 3, 2020
- 76 lawsuits have been filed over ethylene oxide emissions at Sterigenics plant in Willowbrook and more may be coming, attorney saysChicago Tribune, January 30, 2020
- NBC5 Chicago, October 1, 2019
- Patch, October 1, 2019
- October 18, 2022
- Statement from Attorney Antonio M. Romanucci on a new report from the USEPA’S Office of the Inspector General regarding how officials delayed the public release of information about the risks of ethylene oxide in Willowbrook, IllinoisApril 18, 2021
- December 16, 2020
- August 21, 2020
- Law firms representing Sterigenics cancer victims urge Illinois Congressional delegation to decry the EPA waiver of environmental protections as nation battles a pandemicMarch 27, 2020
- Law firms representing Sterigenics cancer victims support Attorneys General call for strict standards of ethylene oxide emissionsFebruary 13, 2020
- February 3, 2020
- December 12, 2019
- October 28, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- September 30, 2019
- Victims: “No faith” that Sterigenics will follow Matt Haller Act, protect public from cancerous emissionsJuly 1, 2019
- April 26, 2019
- Attorneys representing Individuals & Families suffering from Carcinogenic Emissions Related Health Issues respond to latest EPA Test Results in WillowbrookMarch 22, 2019
- Law Firms Representing Individuals & Families Suffering from Carcinogenic Emissions Related Health Issues Respond to Allegations made by former Sterigenics EmployeesFebruary 4, 2019
- Six Law Firms Representing Plaintiffs in Fight against Sterigenics Join Forces to Provide Unified Support to Individuals & Families Suffering from Carcinogenic Emissions Related Health IssuesSeptember 30, 2018
- Sterigenics International Sued for Civil Battery, Negligence & Public Nuisance for Emissions of Cancer-Causing ToxinSeptember 20, 2018
- Chicago Law Firm Retained by Multiple Effected Willowbrook Families Announces Investigation into Toxic Emissions Released from Sterigenics InternationalSeptember 1, 2018
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, July 30, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, February 15, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, January 4, 2021
- October 24, 2023
Dave Savini and the CBS Chicago investigative team continues their coverage of this negligence and environmental tragedy in this small town.