Wrongful Death Lawyers | Romanucci & Blandin
One of the most devastating tragedies that a family can face is the sudden death of a loved one through an unexpected and untimely incident. The situation is exacerbated if the incident was the result of woeful recklessness, carelessness or negligence on the part of someone else.
A family facing this situation may be understandably hesitant to contact an attorney to discuss possible legal action. Although no amount of money can bring a loved one back, delay can mean the difference between success and failure in finding justice for your loved one. Contacting an attorney for a case review and evaluation as soon as possible will ensure that valuable evidence is protected and that your claim is brought within the required statute of limitations.
The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin understand this is a difficult time and are here to help make the process of pursuing your claims as simple as possible. If you or a loved one or family member have been impacted by a wrongful death, you can reach out to our law firm for a free consultation and to discuss your wrongful death lawsuit. Our wrongful death lawyers will work to explain your potential legal claims stemming from the wrongful death and to help gather all the information necessary to proceed.
The Illinois Wrongful Death Act was enacted to protect families by enabling them to recover economic damages, including any medical costs prior to the death, and also the loss of earnings and benefits over the victim’s probable life expectancy. Further, if a victim didn’t die instantly, the family may qualify for award compensation under the Illinois Survival Act, which attempts to compensate a family for the physical and mental suffering before the victim’s death.
Our law firm is experienced in wrongful death cases. We know that losing a loved one or family member through a tragic accident is an intensely trying time for any family. We will handle your case with sensitivity and compassion and also with a determination to see justice served.
The following is a list of the types of wrongful death cases we handle for our clients:
- Tragedy and personal injury or wrongful death caused by negligence of another party such as:
- Car and auto, truck and motorcycle accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice – this can arise from medical negligence; medical error; physician, medical provider or doctor negligence; violations of standard of care and duty of care; wrongful or negligent medical care
- Situations involving children or the elderly – including birth injury
- Physician-Patient Privilege
- Brain injury and traumatic brain injury caused by negligence, medical malpractice, workplace accidents and auto accidents, among other causes
- Pain and suffering; mental anguish may develop due to a loss of companionship
- Loss of protection or care that the deceased provided
- Medical expenses for the treatment of the loved one’s injuries, which resulted in death
- Defective products and products liability cases
- Unsafe premises and premises liability cases
- Gas, oil or chemical fire or explosion
- Truck, bus, cab, ambulance, police car, motorcycle crashes
Types of damages for wrongful death
There are many different types of damages that you or a personal representative can apply for in a wrongful death claim as a surviving spouse or family member. We know you want to seek justice from the responsible party or responsible parties. Each state varies in the types of damages that you are eligible for and our wrongful death lawyers understand that. In most cases, the types of damages do not depend on the cause of the wrongful death. Most often, they depend on the financial loss that the death caused. When you file for a wrongful death suit, you may be eligible for compensation for:
- Punitive damages
- Non-economic damages
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of future inheritance
- Loss of parental guidance if the decedent has children who are minors
- Loss of spousal companionship
- Loss of the decedent’s benefits
- Loss of the decedent’s future income
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering of the decedent their death
- Pain, suffering, grief and sorrow of the survivors from losing a loved one
- Punitive damages if the defendant’s actions were deliberate or hateful
How to determine wrongful death damages
You cannot put a price on what a lost life has cost you. In wrongful death cases, there are various factors that are considered when a judge or jury calculates what amount of damages will be awarded. They take into consideration:
- Decedent’s life expectancy
- Past earnings
- Potential future earnings
- Status of the decedent’s health before the accident
- The decedent’s contribution to the home
At Romanucci & Blandin, our wrongful death attorneys are skilled in the practice area and research the most up to date wrongful death statutes and hire trained and experienced experts to work as expert witnesses and consultants on your cases. We have experience with the insurance companies and successfully recovering damages for wrongful death cases. We will evaluate your injury, claim and research the relevant statute of limitations applicable to your case. Whether it is to review medical bills, insurance issues, medical malpractice laws, standard of care and other medical negligence of hospitals, construction or premises claims, we work to locate and utilize the best medical experts and expert witnesses across the country who are experienced in all the relevant state laws.
Your lawyer will handle your case and present it to help you get the most compensation possible for the loss you and your loved ones have suffered. Your financial burden can be eased by choosing Romanucci & Blandin’s wrongful death attorneys who have vast experience handling wrongful death cases for our clients.
Free consultation with a Chicago-based wrongful death lawyer
In the News
- Family questions whether ComEd bribery scheme played a role in state’s decision not to fully investigate electrocutionChicago Tribune, July 20, 2020
- A suburban man lost his life — and his nephew lost his arms — from an improperly installed ComEd wire. State regulators can’t guarantee it won’t happen againChicago Tribune, September 13, 2019
- Mediation by Honorable William E. Gomolinski Results in $140 Million Settlement for Workplace Injury MatterFebruary 2, 2021
- September 16, 2020
- July 20, 2020
- Romanucci & Blandin Retained to Represent Family of Woman Killed by Drunk Driver in Fiery Uber CrashMay 3, 2019