NURSING HOME NEGLECT ATTORNEYS |
ROMANUCCI & BLANDIN
Countless adults are residents of nursing homes or long-term care facilities. They and their families place a great deal of trust in the nursing home facility and caregivers to take great care of them. There are unfortunate situations, however, when the residents of a nursing home are neglected or abused, and that negligence can cause the residents to sustain critical injuries or, worse yet, it can lead to wrongful death in severe situations. If you or a loved one have been the victim of neglect that caused personal injuries in a nursing home, long-term care facility or assisted living facility in Illinois, Romanucci & Blandin is here to help you with a legal team of nursing home neglect lawyers.
The forms of neglect and abuse in nursing homes
Abuse & neglect of a loved one or resident in a nursing home can come in various forms, including:
- Inadequate monitoring of residents- Residents can suffer from serious accidents if they are not adequately monitored by the nursing home staff. Nursing home falls are among the types of accidents residents can suffer from. Problems with inadequate monitoring can also result from low level staffing levels or staff that does not have the appropriate medical training to be working in a long-term care facility with elderly residents.
- Medication errors- If residents are given an incorrect dosage or a wrong medication, they can have serious or even fatal consequences.
- Refusal or failure to provide regular movement of residents– If a resident in immobile or bedridden, if they are not moved regularly, they can develop decubitus ulcers (bedsores), which in some situations can lead to amputation of a limb or wrongful death.
- Inadequate nutrition- If residents are not provided with healthy meals, they can develop serious illnesses as a result.
- Psychological or financial abuse or exploitation of residents while under the facility care.
- Wrongful death or serious bodily or personal injury can occur in some worst-case scenarios.
For nursing home residents, receiving proper nutrition and hydration is critical to their health. If a resident does not receive sufficient nutrition or hydration, this mistreatment can constitute neglect, as they are put at a higher risk for developing health problems, including:
- Ability to heal from infection
- Muscle weakness
- Pressure ulcers
As we get older, we have less water content in our bodies, which results in a lessened thirst response. This puts nursing home residents at risk for dehydration. It is essential that residents receive an increased fluid intake to avoid dehydration and fluid intake should be monitored.
Unfortunately, another significant problem in nursing homes can be physical and sexual abuse by a caregiver. This type of elder abuse by a staff member can have severe repercussions on the resident as well as on family members or others who care about them.
A nursing home abuse attorney can help you understand the signs of nursing home abuse and know when an appropriate standard of care is not being met. Warning signs of nursing home abuse can be obvious like broken bones, serious injuries, bruises or bedsores but may also be more subtle if there is emotional abuse or financial exploitation.
Nursing home abuse and neglect
Romanucci & Blandin has years of experience handling cases of nursing home abuse for our clients, and many of those cases were cases of neglect. When you or a loved one has suffered from neglect and are now ill or injured as a result, it can be devastating. The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin have the expertise and necessary skills to help you with your case. The nursing home needs to be held accountable for its actions, and our Chicago-based nursing home neglect attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Our nursing home neglect lawyers can determine if there has been medical malpractice and understand what legal action may be appropriate. You pay nothing unless we win your case. Reach out to our office for a free case evaluation. We will work to obtain necessary medical records and documentation, work with Medicaid, and evaluate the physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse or financial abuse suffered by your loved one.
Free consultation with Chicago-based nursing home neglect lawyers
If you have questions regarding your nursing home neglect case, please contact our office at email@example.com, 312-458-1000 or click here for a free evaluation of your case. There is never a fee until you are compensated for your injuries at the end of the case.
Disclaimer: The content found on this page is not legal assistance and contacting the nursing home lawyers at Romanucci & Blandin’s law office for a free consultation regarding personal injury cases and nursing home abuse claims does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, February 23, 2021