Sexual Abuse & Hazing Lawyers | Romanucci & Blandin
Every 73 seconds someone in America is the victim of a sexual assault, leaving victims with significant and real psychological, physical and emotional injuries.
Sexual assault and sexual abuse are real
Sexual abuse is a criminal offense that can be punished by imprisonment, but a victim of such abuse can also file a civil lawsuit to recover compensation. Romanucci & Blandin has significant experience with sexual abuse lawsuits and we are very familiar with the challenges and compassion that these cases require. We understand how to listen to people who have suffered sexual assault and sexual abuse, and our sexual abuse attorneys know how to bring some measure of justice to your life.
Many times, the victim is hesitant to speak out due to fear or embarrassment. Sometimes they are told to stay quiet by friends, family or loved ones, or there may be fear of retribution by the abuser.
Sexual abuse cases become even more sensitive when the victim is a child. These cases often involve an abuser who is in a position of authority or is trusted by the child or family. Our team is also familiar with cases stemming from contact on the internet by an adult preying on a young person.
High school hazing activities can cause a lifetime of harm
Hazing can happen in many places, and hazing rituals in K-12 school districts can include sexual activities, sexual violence, physical and emotional injuries. The trauma from hazing activities can last a lifetime. Hazing can happen in high school settings such as with student athletes on sports teams. Our hazing attorneys are very familiar with these types of cases and, as an example, we have represented young high school students who were members of a football team, sexually assaulted with a broomstick in a locker room by members of the varsity team as a rite of passage.
Hazing rituals at college can have tragic results
Hazing activities are, unfortunately, common on college campuses, as well. Fraternities, sororities and sports teams often have hazing rituals and rites of passage that put college students and student athletes in danger, exposing them to sexual hazing, physical and emotional injury and even causing hazing death. These activities capitalize on college students wanting to be new members of campus organizations or student groups, and see the darkside of toxic masculinity and peer pressure.
Your sexual abuse or hazing claim
With headquarters in Chicago, the sexual abuse and hazing attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know the damage caused by these situations can also include missed work and loss of income, medical bills for treatment, therapy or counselling and more. The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know how to navigate these sensitive cases and bringing justice to victims - even if the abuse took place years ago – and often settle these types of cases without going to trial.
At Romanucci & Blandin, we approach a sexual abuse case or hazing claim as a way to provide monetary compensation and hold an individual or institution financially accountable and responsible for the economic, physical and emotional damages that have occurred.
Our law firm has a team of attorneys and staff who have years of experience with sexual abuse and hazing litigation. Our sexual abuse legal team includes partners who guide the process and share their deep knowledge of these types of lawsuits. Each client and each situation is different, and your claim is treated with great care and respect as the team investigates what happened and determines the best path to justice for you.
We know exactly what to do to litigate your sexual abuse or hazing case. We will obtain all necessary background information on the abuser and, if appropriate, any institution such as a school district, church or scouting organization that was involved. We find the records, interview witnesses, utilize experts and prepare thoroughly and meticulously for your case. Ultimately, our aim is to obtain the maximum compensation possible so that you can move on with your life.
At Romanucci & Blandin, our sexual abuse and hazing attorneys research the most up-to-date sexual misconduct laws and hire trained and experienced sexual assault and hazing experts to work as expert witnesses and consultants on your cases. We will evaluate your injury, claim and research the relevant statute of limitations applicable to your case. We work to locate and utilize the best experts across the country who are experienced in all the relevant state laws.
Delivering justice for sexual abuse and hazing victims
The results we have achieved in many sexual abuse and hazing cases are a testament to our team’s fierce dedication to clients. For example, we are proud to have secured justice for a wide range of people: those abused by clergy or scout leaders, victims of sex trafficking, those who suffered intimate partner abuse or forced into a sexual assault as a hazing ritual.
Our results speak for themselves. While every case is different, we have secured verdicts and settlements that are hundreds of thousands of dollars or more than a million dollars for victims of this type of abuse.
From abuse by a teacher or in a high school or college hazing ritual, to priest or scout leader abuse, our team knows how the system works, how insurance companies and major institutions operate, and what judges, juries or mediators need to see to understand your claim.
Justice beyond a verdict or settlement: change in laws
At Romanucci & Blandin, we are committed to justice for our clients both in and out of the courtrooms. We are active in creating legislative change to stem or stop the problems in our community that have impacted our clients. This means engaging with lawmakers, advocacy groups and even testifying in front of legislators to share our clients stories and create change.
One example of this is when our client, who is the mother of a young female sex trafficking victim who was murdered, testified in the U.S. Senate. When legislation was passed, our client and her attorneys were in the White House when the SESTA/FOSTA law was signed, reforming internet solicitation of minors.
Types of sexual abuse and hazing claims
The following are some of the types of sexual abuse & hazing cases we handle for our clients:
- Boy Scouts
- Clergy abuse
- Hazing, Bullying & Intimidation Hazing Cases
- Minor Child abuse
- School & Institutional abuse
- Sex Trafficking
Free consultation on your case with a Chicago-based sexual assault and hazing attorney
The sexual abuse and hazing attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin have proven success in these types of cases. If you or a loved one has suffered injury or wrongful death, please contact our office at Info@rblaw.net, 312-458-1000 or click here for a free evaluation of your case. There is never a fee until you are compensated for your injuries at the end of the case.
- April 2020
- August 2018
- April 29, 2021
- May 2020
- June 23, 2021
- September 2020
- June 2021
- June 2021
In the News
- WGN9, November 22, 2022
- Chadron State College promised to honor a student after her suicide. Her family says ‘they’re hiding it’Nebraska Public Media, September 20, 2022
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 5, 2022
- Fox 32 Chicago, August 5, 2022
- Chicago Archdiocese To Pay $1.75 Million To Woman Who Says Priest Sexually Abused Her At South Side Catholic SchoolBlock Club Chicago, August 5, 2022
- WBBM News Radio Chicago, August 5, 2022
- Chicago man sentenced to 39 years for murder of sex-trafficked teen in Markham; ‘you decided her life didn’t matter,’ mother saysChicago Tribune, April 13, 2022
- Illinois Times, February 14, 2022
- University of Michigan reaches $490 million settlement after sex abuse allegations against former UM doctorCNN, January 19, 2022
- Fox Illinois, September 30, 2021
- WGN Radio Legal Face Off, September 23, 2021
- FOX 32 Chicago, August 23, 2021
- Attorney Antonio Romanucci Speaks following Sex Trafficking Guilty Plea in case of Desiree Robinson. Attorney Antonio RomanucciABC 7 Chicago, April 3, 2018
- January 6, 2023
- Romanucci & Blandin files childhood sex abuse lawsuit against St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy on behalf of former studentNovember 21, 2022
- September 5, 2022
- Romanucci & Blandin secures $1.75 million settlement for sexual abuse of a girl by priest at St. Cyril Catholic SchoolAugust 5, 2022
- Antonio Rosales pleads guilty to 2016 killing of sex trafficking victim, 16-year-old Desiree RobinsonApril 12, 2022
- Romanucci & Blandin settles sexual abuse case involving Father John Burke, the Clerics of St. Viator and the Diocese of Joliet, IllinoisFebruary 24, 2022
- October 13, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin files childhood sexual abuse lawsuits and claims against Archdiocese of New York, Diocese of Brooklyn, Diocese of Rockville Centre and a Boy Scouts Local CouncilSeptember 21, 2021
- Civil Lawsuit Filed Against Plainfield School District 202 and Plainfield Central High School Football Coaches for Hazing and Sexual Assault of Two PlayersAugust 23, 2021
- June 23, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin Represents Sexual Abuse Victims of University of Michigan Athletic Doctor Robert E. AndersonMay 21, 2021
- April 29, 2021
- New Lawsuit Details Sexual Abuse by Leaders of Arizona Boy Scout Troop and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SaintsJanuary 14, 2021
- September 30, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- August 29, 2018
- Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, World Sport Chicago & International Federation of Gymnastics Sued for Sexual Assault of Gymnast during Chicago Competition in Civil Rights SuitAugust 16, 2018
- Backpage.com Named in Civil Case For Reportedly Facilitating and Profiting From Child Sex TraffickingMay 17, 2017
- Romanucci & Blandin Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Parents of Lake Zurich High School Students for Despicable Acts of Bullying and HazingFebruary 1, 2017
- November 7, 2016
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, January 25, 2023
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, June 3, 2022
- Romanucci & Blandin Blog, February 22, 2022
- Civil Litigation – Filling the Gaps of our Criminal Justice System by Advocating for Accountability, Compensation, and Healing for Survivors of Sexual ViolenceRomanucci & Blandin Blog, December 9, 2020
- April 21, 2022
Romanucci & Blandin Partner Martin D. Gould joins Parker Stinar of Wahlberg, Woodruff, Nimmo and Sloane in a Chicago Bar Association TV interview about a stunning sexual predator who abused hundreds of athletes for decades at the University of Michigan. The conversation examined the challenges with statutes of limitations in abuse cases, as many survivors are not ready to come forward until later in life. R&B is proud to fight for justice for the victims in this case of abuse by Dr. Richard Anderson, as well as those who have experienced other forms of abuse and human trafficking.
- August 23, 2021
Romanucci & Blandin attorneys share with FOX32 News details of the dreadful experience suffered by two former Plainfield Central High School football players who suffered hazing and sexual assault in the team's locker room in October of 2019.