Hair Relaxer Health Issues
HAIR RELAXER CANCER ATTORNEYS | ROMANUCCI & BLANDIN
Romanucci & Blandin, LLC is investigating claims against hair product manufacturers L’Oreal, SoftSheen Carson, Dark and Lovely, amongst others, alleging their hair straightening treatments caused an increased risk of uterine and ovarian cancer in women who used them. Individuals who have used hair straighteners and developed uterine and ovarian cancer may be eligible for compensation.
Hair straightener treatments may contain toxic chemicals which increase the risk of uterine and ovarian cancer, particularly in Black or Hispanic women who may use the products more often. Hair straighteners can contain formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing chemicals, phthalates, parabens, bisphenol-A and other toxins that may be carcinogenic. Other scientific studies have linked toxic chemicals to cancer in females, including ovarian, uterine and endometrial cancer, as well as short and long-term illnesses such as respiratory distress and asthma.
Products linked to causing uterine and ovarian cancer
Hair straightener products are available from large retailers and beauty stores. These hair relaxers may heighten the risk of cancer or other health illnesses if used by consumers. Brands may include:
- SoftSheen Carson (SSC), L’Oreal
- Precise No Lye Conditioning Relaxer SupremPrecise No Lye Original Relaxer
- No Base Relaxer
- Multi Mineral Reduced Ph Creme Relaxer
- Optimum Smooth Multi-Mineral Creme Hair Relaxer
- Multi-Mineral Reduced Ph Crème Relaxer
- Salon Collection Hair Relaxer Super Strength - Optimum Salon Haircare
- Salon Collection Relaxer Regular Strength - Optimum Salon Haircare
- SSC Dark and Lovely, L’Oreal
- Moisturizing Relaxer with Shea Butter
- Triple Nourished Silkening Relaxer
- Beautiful Beginnings Kids No-Mistake Nourishing No-Lye Crème Relaxer
- Healthy Gloss Shea Moisture No-Lye Relaxer
- Mizani, L’Oreal
- Sensitive Scalp Rhelaxer
- Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp Rhelaxer
- Conditioning Crème Relaxer
- Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil
- No Base Relaxer
- No-Lye Relaxer
- New Growth Relaxer
- Girls Hair Relaxer
- Zone Relaxer
- Professional Crème Relaxer
- Mild Touch Relaxer
- African Pride
- Olive Miracle Deep Conditioning Relaxer
- Olive Miracle Deep Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer
- Olive Miracle Anti-breakage No-Lye Relaxer
- Olive Miracle Dream Kids Relaxer
- Olive Miracle Touch Up No-Lye Relaxer
- Africa’s Best
- Herbal Intensive Dual Conditioning Relaxer
- Originals Olive Oil No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer
- Touch-Up Plus Moisturizing No-Lye New Growth Relaxer
- Just For Me
- No-Lye Relaxer for girls
- No-Lye Texture Softener
- Super Relaxer
- No-Lye RelaxeSoft & Beautiful
- Soft & Beautiful
- Botanicals Regular Texturizer
- No-Lye Regular Texturizer
- No Lye Sensitive Scalp Relaxer
- Classic Formula Relaxer
- Regular Relaxer
- Silkening Shine No-Lye Relaxer
- Smooth & Silken Relaxer
- Silk Elements
- MegaSilk Shea Butter Relaxer
- Luxury Moisturizing Shea Butter Relaxer
- No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer
- Crème of Nature
- Argan Oil Relaxer
- TCB Naturals
- Conditioning No-Lye Hair Relaxer
- No Base Crème Hair Relaxer
Study shows Black and Hispanic women may be at higher risk
A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (the “Sister Study), which included data from over 33,000 women, some of whom were followed for up to 11 years, between the ages of 35-74, showed that women who frequently used hair straightening products were twice as likely to develop uterine and ovarian cancer than women who treated their hair only once in the last 12 months or who did not use the same products. The same research team in 2019, found a possible link between permanent hair straighteners and forms of cancer.
Some studies indicate up to 90 percent of black and brown women have used hair relaxants and straighteners, which is more commonplace for these women than for any other race.
If you used hair straighteners in the past, you may have been exposed to toxic chemicals and placed at increased risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. People who received hair straightener treatments and developed uterine and ovarian cancer may be eligible for compensation.
Mass tort attorneys and class action cases
The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin know how to navigate these complex cases to bring justice to victims, sometimes settling these cases without ever going to trial. Our team understands the nuances of these types of cases and has represented those injured by other consumer products.
With headquarters in Chicago, Romanucci & Blandin approaches a mass tort of class action to provide monetary compensation and hold a company financially responsible for the economic, physical and emotional damages that have occurred to a large group of individuals or families.
Our law firm has a team of attorneys and staff with years of experience in mass tort and class action litigation. Our team includes partners who guide the process and share their deep knowledge of these types of lawsuits. Each client and each situation are different, and your claim is treated with great care and respect as the team investigates what happened and determines the best path to justice for you.
At Romanucci & Blandin, our mass tort attorneys and class action attorneys research the most up-to-date regulatory changes, state laws and federal laws and hire trained and experienced experts to work as expert witnesses and consultants on your case. We will evaluate your injury, claim and research the relevant statute of limitations applicable to your case. We work to locate and utilize the best expert witnesses across the country with experience in all the relevant laws. We will work collaboratively with other law firms when the circumstances call for that and we are proven leaders in these large group cases.
Free consultation on your case involving hair relaxers with product liability lawyers
The attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin have demonstrated success in these types of cases. A judge in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois appointed Romanucci & Blandin Partner David A. Neiman to the Plaintiff's Steering Committee and Senior Attorney Sarah M. Raisch to the Leadership Development Committee for the multidistrict litigation (MDL) for these cases.
If you or a loved one may have been harmed by hair straightening products, please contact our office at email@example.com, 312-458-1000 or click here for a free evaluation of your hair relaxer case. There is never a fee until you are compensated for your injuries at the end of the case.
Disclaimer: The content found on this page is not legal assistance and contacting the mass tort and class action lawyers at Romanucci & Blandin’s law office for a free consultation regarding personal injury cases and wrongful death claims does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
In the News
- Hair relaxers have been linked to cancer among Black women, litigation says. ‘Nobody cares except us.’Chicago Tribune, August 11, 2023