Joseph E. Kolar serves as Partner at the Chicago-based law-firm, Romanucci & Blandin, LLC, where he focuses his practice in handling serious personal injury cases, including medical malpractice, birth injuries, aviation, train and automobile crashes.
As a civil trial lawyer with over 35 years of experience in Illinois state and federal courts, Joe served a co-trial counsel in obtaining numerous notable verdicts and settlements for clients, including: a $29.8 million award against the United States of America for a child who suffered a brain injury from an unnecessary delay in his delivery; a $25 million verdict in a medical negligence trial in Chicago; a $19.4 million Cook County settlement for a brain injury to an adult (following a three week medical negligence trial); an $18.6 million Lake County jury verdict for a boy who suffered a brain injury at birth (an Illinois record at the time); and an $11 million federal jury verdict for the death of an 18-year-old in a truck-car crash.
For his work, Joe has been selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers® list for over 15 years, as a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s Leading Lawyers Division since 2004, and most recently was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for 2021-2022. Additionally, Joe maintains an AV Preeminent® peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Joe is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice (AAJ). With AAJ, Joe has been recognized as an “Advocate of Trial Advocacy” by its National College of Advocacy. Joe is also a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the Lake County Bar Association and the Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of Chicago where he serves as President.
Joe has lectured to other lawyers on civil trial matters at seminars sponsored by the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, the Lake County Bar Association and the McHenry County Bar Association.
Joe graduated from Illinois State University in 1982. In 1985, he graduated cum laude from Northern Illinois University (NIU) College of Law. While at NIU, Joe was an editor of the law review and had an article published in the law review titled: “Adoption of a Flexible Standard for Analyzing Informant’s Tips in Illinois v. Gates,” 4 Northern Illinois University Law Review 179-202, 1983.
After graduation from law school, Joe took a job with the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office in Waukegan. While in the State’s Attorney’s Office, Joe handled complex civil matters at the trial and appellate court level. As an Assistant State’s Attorney, Joe successfully handled the following appeals: Salvation Army v. Department of Revenue, 170 Ill.App.3d 336, 524 N.E.2d 628 (2nd Dist. 1988); Lake County Board of Review v. Property Tax Appeal Board, 172 Ill. App.3d 851, 527 N.E.2d 84 (2nd Dist. 1988)(co-counsel); County of Lake v. Zenko, 174 Ill.App.3d 54, 528 NE.2d 414 (2nd Dist. 1988); Commonwealth Edison Company v. County of Lake, 183 Ill.App.3d 1060, 540 N.E.2d 6 (2nd Dist. 1989)(co-counsel); Kankakee County Board of Review v. Property Tax Appeal Board, 131 Ill.2d 1, 544 N.E.2d 762 (1989)(amicus curiae brief)(co-counsel).
In private practice, Joe has successfully handled the following appeals: Poeta v. Sheridan Point Shopping Plaza Partnership, 195 Ill.App.3d 852, 552 N.E.2d 1248 (2nd Dist. 1990)(co-counsel); Pace Realty Group Inc. v. Property Tax Appeal Board, 306 Ill.App.3d 718, 713 N.E.2d 1249 (2nd Dist. 1999); Hackl v. Advocate Health and Hospitals Corp., 382 Ill.App.3d 442, 887 N.E.2d 726 (1st Dist. 2008); and In re Estate of Diaz, 2014 IL App (2d) 140239-U.
Outside of the courtroom, Joe enjoys spending time with his grandson, sons and wife. Joe enjoys golf, stand-up paddle boarding on Lake Michigan, snow skiing, basketball and hiking.
- December 2013
- May 2021
- July 2021
- May 2020
- May 2018
- December 2014
Education & Certifications
- J.D., Northern Illinois University College of Law
- B.A., Illinois State University
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021-2023
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers® list, 2005, 2007, 2009-Present
- Named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s Leading Lawyers Division, 2004-Present
Legal Activities & Leadership
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of Chicago,
- President, May 2019-June 2022
- Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of Chicago, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), Member
- Lake County Bar Association, Member
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State of Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
In the News
- Chicago Sun-Times, January 21, 2022
- CDLB People – Romanucci & Blandin secures an $8 million settlement in a lawsuit involving a medical malpractice injuryChicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 13, 2021
- Romanucci & Blandin Partners and Attorneys honored by the 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America© and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022
- Partner Joseph E. Kolar completes 3-year term as President of Bohemian Lawyers’ Association of ChicagoJuly 15, 2022
- Romanucci & Blandin settles $1 million case against Chicago-area teaching hospital for death of infant boyMarch 17, 2022
- January 21, 2022
- November 5, 2021
- September 29, 2021
- All Romanucci & Blandin Partners and Nine Other Attorneys Honored by 2022 Edition of Best Lawyers in America© and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 19, 2021
- May 6, 2021
- February 4, 2021
- 15 Attorneys at Romanucci & Blandin Honored by Their Peers as Leading Lawyers or Emerging Lawyers for 2021October 6, 2020
- August 31, 2020
- 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America© and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Honors All Romanucci & Blandin Partners and Nine Other AttorneysAugust 20, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- March 27, 2020
- January 29, 2020
- April 26, 2019
- April 8, 2019
- April 1, 2019